Increasing desalination activities globally are anticipated to increase the demand for Reverse Osmosis (RO) Membrane Market
The Global Reverse Osmosis (RO) Membrane Market was valued at USD 3.3 Bn in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 6.5 Bn by 2027, with a growing CAGR of 10.1% during the forecast period.
The rising trend of reverse osmosis membrane use in alternative water source treatment, including desalination plants and wastewater recycling is expected to drive the reverse osmosis membrane (RO) market growth. The reverse osmosis RO membrane market's major end-use industry is water and wastewater treatment. The market for water and wastewater treatment is being driven by a lack of water and improving rules requiring wastewater treatment and reuse. For instance, in April 2020, Water Mining, a 17-million-euro initiative aiming at proving innovative water resource solutions has received funding from the European Commission. The public-private partnership consists of 38 public and private partners from 12 countries, as well as four linked third parties. Delft University of Technology will be in charge (TU Delft). These projects are expected to drive the reverse osmosis membrane (RO) market growth.
Moreover, Thermal and membrane technology are the two most common types of water treatment technology. Membrane technology is being more widely used in the food sector as a processing and separation tool. Membrane techniques are often more cost-effective than previous methods. For example, instead of employing using high temperature treatment to remove bacteria, cold pasteurisation and sterilisation with appropriate membranes is more energy efficient. Microfiltration, ultrafiltration, nanofiltration, and reverse osmosis are examples of membrane technology. The introduction of such new technologies is expected to foster the reverse osmosis membrane (RO) market growth.
Global Reverse Osmosis (RO) Membrane Market by Region Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2021-2027)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
In terms of geography, North America region dominated the regional reverse osmosis (RO) membrane market. For every technological innovation, the North American region is a well-established and mature market. Reverse osmosis (RO) membranes are also used in household applications in the United States. AXEON, DeSal, Dow Filmtec, GE, Toray, Hydranautics, R.O. UltraTec, and others, for example, make or work with US Water's residential and commercial reverse osmosis membranes. The region is technologically advanced and provides a fully-fledged, well- established marketplace for reverse osmosis (RO) membranes. There are ample of opportunities present in the North America in the reverse osmosis (RO) membrane industry for vendors and service providers
Additionally, the construction of desalination and brackish water treatment plants in Latin America are expected to address reverse osmosis (RO) membrane industry. For instance, Latin America is presently one of the major emerging markets for seawater and brackish water desalination, desalination is widely utilised in Chile for mining and urban water, particularly in the arid North. The copper mining industry in Chile is forecasting around 10% increase in water use in 2021, which is however the largest one-year increase in Chile's mining sector. By 2025, water consumption is predicted to rise by 66 percent to 24.6 m3/s.
The Global Reverse Osmosis (RO) Membrane Market Segmentation:
Global Reverse Osmosis (RO) Membrane Market by Material Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2021-2027)
- Thin Film Composite (TFC)
- Cellulose Triacetate Membrane
Global Reverse Osmosis (RO) Membrane Market by Application Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2021-2027)
- Process Water Treatment
- Wastewater Treatment
Global Reverse Osmosis (RO) Membrane Market by Membrane Type Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2021-2027)
- Plate & frame membranes
- Hollow Fiber
- Based on material, thin film composite segment held the largest market share for the year 2020 and is anticipated to continue its dominance throughout the forecast period
- Based on application, desalination was the fastest growing segment in the reverse osmosis (RO) membrane market, followed by wastewater treatment
- Spiral membrane segment accounted to be the largest market in the year 2020, in terms of membrane type
- Based on regions, the North American region is anticipated to hold a largest market throughout the forecast period in the reverse osmosis (RO) membrane market analysis
Company Profiles and Competitive Intelligence
The key players operating in the Reverse Osmosis (RO) Membrane Market are:
- LG Chem
- Mann Hummel Water & Fluid Solutions
- DuPont Water Solutions
- Toray Industries
- Suez Water Technologies and Solutions
- Toyobo Co. Ltd.
- Microdyn-Nadir GmbH
- Synder Filtration Membranes
- Genesys International.
- Vontron Membrane Technology Co., Ltd.
- Applied Membranes, Inc
- GE Membrane
- Complete Water Solutions
- OriginClear, Inc.
- Evoqua Water Technologies
- Alfa Laval Inc. (US)
- Fluid Energy Controls, Inc.
- Arcadian Services
- Reynolds Culligan
- Royal Hydraulics
- In February 2021, researchers from DuPont Water Solutions. discovered that the density of water filtration membranes, even at the atomic scale, can dramatically affect how much clean water can be generated with reverse osmosis membranes, according to the findings, accurate density management can boost membrane efficiency by 30 to 40%, resulting in more water filtered with less energy.
- In October 2020, Koch teamed up with Waste 3R Engineering & Solutions in October 2020. By using the company's membrane products and systems, the alliance intends to promote the company's sophisticated separation technologies for industrial water and wastewater projects across Bangladesh, as well as aid accomplish recycling and reuse.